Total Pageviews

September 14, 2005

Youse Guys

I was reading through my emails and happened across one of my pet peeves. I'm feeling a little peevish today so it suits me to sound off a bit. The email was one of those hug a friend-you're an angel in disguise sort of things. I equate them with regular mail addressed to occupant. I know that my friends love me and think I'm a rose or an angel, and I feel the same about them...I just don't email the sentiment back to the sender nor do I forward it to the dozens of angelic flowers on my own email list. Some of the recipients would probably look me up and slap me! At any rate, that's not what my pet peeve is.
At the end of this email, "Ya'll" were encouraged to send it out within 10 minutes of 100's of your nearest and dearest. Now, I was born and raised in Texas. I was also fairly adept at grammar in school. I know that "don't" is the contracted form of "do not" and "would've" is short for "would have." So it stands to reason that "Y'all" is the proper contraction for "you all." I have no idea what "ya'll" is supposed to represent. "Ya'll" is worse to me than "ain't." While "ain't" is usually accepted in conversation and has even been used as a regular word (think, "Ain't Misbehavin'" or "It Ain't Necessarily So"), the term "ya'll" is just ignorance or poor spelling. I'm thinking that it's originated by Yankees who are just posing as Southerners.
What do y'all think?

2 comments:

CottonSr said...

Nope, Granna, I see it from fellow Texans, even from Harlingen. Calm down. It ain't the end of the world.

Anonymous said...

I went back and checked all my previous e-mails to see if I had used Ya'll anywhere. It revealed I used alot of other bad grammer but not Ya'll. Thank goodness.