Total Pageviews

September 2, 2005

Chicken Dance

I have a new hero of the week. Don't know her name, but she's a black English guinea hen...I think. My fellow blogger, www.beavercreekdaily@blogspot.com, posted his recent purchase of goats followed up by acquiring this hen and two chicks. The poor little chicks didn't make the transition and now there's just the hen. In the last posting, she was getting along well with her new surroundings, mixing in with the goats, and didn't seem to mind being hand carried into shelter when a storm came.
At 57, I've gone through alot of changes, some good and some I'd rather not dwell on. I'm still here! Like the little hen, I've had to adapt to different living arrangements, different companions, and different ways of handling the storms that come along from time to time. I'm still here! You have to learn to bend or you'll break. You have to adjust or get left behind. The little hen is just getting on with being a hen and doing what hens do. Doesn't matter that her shape has changed, or the chicks she used to hang with aren't around, that the new neighbors are large and different looking...she's just busy doing her thing...being a little black guinea hen. Her needs are met, she's well-fed, she's happy no matter what.
I'm learning what she already knows!

1 comment:

CottonSr said...

I know that hen. No, she's not a guinea though. The two little lost, dead chicks were guineas. She's a black English hen. She's not small, sort of normal.

She got out of the pasture though yesterday. That's twice now in three days. There are coyotes in the area that have tested my fence. She's a bit naive still.

I do intend to get some guinea's, silkie, maybe even a couple of ducks. But she is a cutie on her own. Wish she'd lay eggs though. Like you, Sara. I guess that's a joke. Ha!