Total Pageviews

December 1, 2005

Flash Point

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I only made one mistake this year. I forgot to practice my overeating skills. Thanksgiving dinner and the second helping of dressing nearly did me in. I didn't even eat leftovers for supper or a piece of pie until the next day. Next year, I'll have to remember to overeat during the week leading up to Thanksgiving. I was miserable!!
I covered alot of Texas over the long weekend. It occurred to me that we've lost alot of our road etiquette over the years and I hate to see that happen. There used to be more of an esprit de corp when you shared the highways. Looking out for one another included helping fix flats or offering to go ahead and send back help if you passed someone staring blankly at their smoking engine. It was nothing to go get a few gallons of gas for the stranded brother on the side of the road. But my favorite form of gallantry was the flashing headlight maneuver. It was always great fun to have someone flash their lights a time or two letting you know that there was a radar trap ahead. Dad would gratefully flash his lights back as confirmation that he received the warning and to say thanks. Sure enough, a mile or two up the road there would be a black and white looking for those speeders to help them meet their quota. We'd beaten the system again!
This trip though, there were "bears" all over the place with it being the holidays and not one person ever flashed me...not one!! I was flashing like a Christmas tree with a new string of lights, but even doing that for the oncoming speeders didn't net me one flash of gratitude! Lord help me if I'd run out of gas or had a smoking engine.
I'm putting the world on watch!!!...as of 2006, I'm not flashing ever again. I know, you might think it won't be the same safe world, but the only thing I'm flashing from here on out is a friendly grin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO, GRANNY. THIS IS SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD DO. I AM AMAZED AT YOUR CANDOR ALTHOUGH I KNOW ABOUT THAT. YOU ARE A SPECIAL LADY AND NOW I HAVE MORE TO ADMIRE YOU FOR. TELL THE BLOGGERS MORE ABOUT YOUR AUXILIARY ACTIVITY. YOU SURE DRESSED US UP.