Total Pageviews

November 26, 2005

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I had some really great food over the weekend! I can't decide if it's because I didn't have to cook a big meal or if I just like turkey and dressing...probably a little of both. I watched my daughter-in-law fix dressing her way and noticed that it was considerably better than mine. I was so glad I didn't try to impose my recipe! She's a great cook and my son is indeed fortunate to have had the wisdom to choose her as his bride! He eats well! She and Hannah had made corn husk dolls which composed the centerpiece of our table. Even the napkins were graciously gathered by green satin bows. Nice presentation!!
Fredericksburg was ready for the seasons...I pluralized that because there were decorations up for Thanksgiving, banners and signs for holiday craft shows, Christmas everywhere, and every third person I passed was wearing camouflage clothing. Deer hunters were being welcomed to the area on every restaurant and motel marquee. We saw plenty of deer on the way over...most were standing out in a field but there were also a few on the side of the road. They make up almost as much roadkill in the hill country as armadillos do down south.
I lost a dear cousin-in-law over Thanksgiving and couldn't get my ducks back in a row to attend the funeral. I'm sorry he's gone but glad he's not in pain. He's found my mom and several other relatives by now and I'm sure they have a poker game going...if we get to play poker in heaven. I get a little more "homesick" with the passing of every family member and friend who gets to heaven ahead of me.
If you watched the UT/AM game, your heart had to race a time or two no matter whether you were hooking 'em or gigging 'em. Great game!
Nothing much else to say...just a few thoughts from Thanksgiving 2005. Pray for my preacher friend in Ethiopia if you think of it...he does good work!

2 comments:

CottonSr said...

Yeah, Thanksgiving is great. Us too, had great great time with relatives.

And of course I watched the Aggie game. So much fatigue and disgust this year as I've never felt before, but by game time I was ready to go and just watching my comrades in the stadium and MY team on the field, wearing my colors and displaying who I am, I forgot everything except the total greatness and gratitude of being an Aggie. Totally. And then, low and behold, the team played like they felt the same way. I was incredibly proud of them. And if we could have only seen the Aggie Band. You forget the score entirely. Nothing else in the world matters except being a part of that family. Huge.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara Beth;I love this. Do not know what it is. but I want to do one or read others.Love your writingand love you more.Allyce