Total Pageviews

December 21, 2005

10 More Shopping Days!

There are only ten days left in 2005 and I'm serving notice that it's time to start shopping around for New Year's resolutions. I've talked to so many people that are ready for this year to just get on down the road so they can have a fresh start in 2006. I've given this some thought because frankly, I'm feeling the same way. 2005 will go down as the year that I didn't lose weight, make more money or win the lottery. I'm beginning to think it's going to take more than turning the page on a calendar for these things happen in my life.

My new plan of action is to change my focus. I sometimes actually listen to what I'm saying, and alot of it, way too much of it, is negative. Rather that approaching the situations in my life and racing to the worst possible outcome, I think I'll start believing for the best. After all, like one of my favorite songs says, "Sunday's a-comin'." I knew a lady once who always answered her phone with "What's wrong?" Before anyone had even said anything!! I don't want to look at life that way. Resolution #1 is, "get happy."

Resolution #2 is, "do it differently." I've heard that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. My goodness, someone get the net! I'm changing my focus to new paths and new directions to go with my new happy attitude. I won't be able to sit in front of the television for hours on end, which has been my escape mechanism this year. It hasn't helped my life, but I can carry on a conversation about Wisteria Lane and a bunch of med students with ease. I may suffer withdrawal here, but I'm determined to do it differently!

Moving along, my last resolution, which is really first in importance, is to quit helping Jesus! When the boys were little, they were always anxious to help me bake. Maybe it was the novelty of me baking at all, but the kitchen and cookie dough held a strong fascination for them and they wanted to be a part of the production. I'd let them sift and stir and taste-test the results, but as you can guess, they were technically in the way and slowed the process down. I'm sure the Lord feels like that towards me on occasion when He's trying to "perfect the things that concern me" and I'm jumping up and down wanting to get involved. This year, my focus will be on letting Him have His way. That may be the hardest thing to do and the reason I mention it last. To not tell Jesus how to fix me, my family, and the world in general will be the greatest test of all.

Check back with me here, same time next year, and I'll let you know how 2006 went!...and it wouldn't hurt to say a prayer for me either!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there resolving with you....remember to say, "it's not my job, it's not my job...it is His job!"

CottonSr said...

Very refreshing letter. Easier said than done, but I know that from experience. I chased what I thought Jesus wanted, told myself I knew what He wanted, did or failed to do what I was sure He expected. I did everything but listen when He spoke. Even trying to open up to Him, you have the same old habits and concepts so easily.

The Truth hurts, long before it sets you free.

Loved your letter.