Total Pageviews

December 19, 2005

Receiving Ain't Bad!

Thinking back over Christmases past, I'm remembering my favorite gifts. Well, I'm remembering the ones I remember. I've forgotten alot of the good stuff I'm sure. There are a few that stand out and it's brain candy for me to go back and think about the surprise, the happiness and the giver.

My first thing I actually remember getting was a black cocker spaniel that we appropriately named, "Blackie." When I woke up Christmas morning, I went running down the hall and stepped in a pile of poop. I smelled my gift before I ever saw it. We lived over on Adams street and without a fenced yard, it wasn't long before Blackie disappeared. The next treat was a radio. I must have been five and still young enough to get as big a kick out of looking at the glow from the tubes on the inside as hearing the music from the outside. I received a stuffed pink cat from Big Mama that was stuffed with that straw/hay shredded stuff; nowhere near the soft stuffed critters offered to kids today. Bibles with my name printed on the front were always favorites with my all time Bible favorite coming from Mikey. He bought me the right version I wanted and signed it from him and the boys. In 1966, I received one of the biggest & best...an engagement ring. Didn't take long for the luster to wear off the relationship tho. Next in line was a beautiful white robe. Neiman Marcus had a gorgeous white mink bathrobe in their obscene price section of their catalog and I was lusting in my heart big time! Mom found this really nice white fuzzy robe and got it for me...we had a good laugh. I wouldn't take money for the great craft things from the boys that have survived all these years. What mother doesn't need a cigar boxed covered in sparkling gold macaroni to keep the family jewels safe? Fast forwarding to last year, my favorite gift was a picture of the grandkids in a magnetic frame for the fridge complete with buttons glued on so well that a year later, not one is missing! Friends have added to my collection of small Santas and angels and I can tell you who gave me each one.

It's better to give than to receive...I know that. Still, special gifts from special people have an enduring quality not to be overlooked when spending a few minutes with a cup of cocoa and your memories. Here's wishing you a stocking full this year!

No comments: