Total Pageviews

December 29, 2005

As the World Turns

A couple more revolutions around the sun and we'll be in another year. How about that!? As an unabashed pre-millenialist, I remember wondering if my youngest son, born in 1979, would even be in school before the Rapture of the Church. I have to admit that I bought the book, 88 Reasons Why Jesus Will Return in 1988. Then I read an article that stated reasons (including info about a shift in numbered days when calculating days changed from calendar to calendar) why Jesus could arrive as soon as 1993. As the new millennium approached with its attending hysteria over Y2K, I wavered between concern and expectation. Surely with the 4000 years between Adam and Jesus and the 2000 years since Jesus was on the earth and figuring for His 1000 year reign we'd be a perfect 7000 years, we'd hear the trumpet just as the lighted ball hit the bottom of the pole at Times Square...that is if we hadn't already been caught up when it was the New Year in Israel. Well, here we sit and it's coming up on 2006 already!
Am I being callous or disrespectful? Nope, just considering that though the church is still here under the mandate to "occupy", we're closer to seeing Jesus than we were when we were born. We're closer than my grandmother was when she looked expectantly for the Lord's return. We're closer than when my folks were alive and telling me that they believed that my generation would see the catching away as Israel and I were both born in 1948. With every trip around the sun, I believe we draw closer to that great and wonderful Day of the Lord. It's an awesome thought for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you admitted it to the whole world.