Total Pageviews

December 23, 2005

Let It Go, Let It Go, Let It Go

Being financially challenged this Christmas might have been a blessing in disguise for me. As a child, I remember Mom and Dad loading up our Christmas tree with all sorts of stuff. We had a bonanza of gifts under the tree and Santa was always generous. Maybe they were influenced by their Depression Era experiences and wanted us to have what they didn't get. Maybe they just liked wrapping stuff up. Whatever their motivation, I came away with the idea that Christmas was about Jesus and presents, my two favorite things. I did the same thing with the boys. I can still hear Mike, in a futile attempt to be the voice of reason, tell me to hold the spending down. He would suggest things like a few toys and clothes. Right! Throwing caution and credit limits to the wind, I'd hit Toys R Us and Target and our Christmas morning would duplicate the memory I had from childhood. Lots and lots of lots and lots!!

This year, I didn't have such options and I began to think of what a great holiday this would be if we took out the gift quotient altogether. Think of all of the stress that would be eliminated. No shopping, no wrapping, no obscene debt in January, no guilt if presents weren't given for whatever reason, no worrying about the recipients liking what you chose. All that would be left is seeing relatives, going to church, eating big family meals, reflecting on the Reason for the Season. Some might call that "Thanksgiving" and they would be right. That could be why I enjoy Thanksgiving so much. Maybe it's time for me to rethink this gift giving thing. Make up for a lesser gift at Christmas with a bigger birthday gift and spread the spending across the year. Do as some families do and draw names. Ask friends to take me off of their own lists. I'm not being grinchy by proposing no more gifting. I am suggesting that the importance of gift giving be brought down to a manageable level so that the message of Christmas is shining bright once again.

No comments: