Total Pageviews

December 8, 2005

God Rest Ye Merry

I had a hard time falling asleep last night. I'm not sure if it was the cold, the holiday stuff I keep obsessing about, or the coffee candy I ate about 4 o'clock...maybe a little bit of it all. I tried counting sheep, watching The Tonight Show (is it just me or are Jay and that dopey Kevin just not funny), prayers for me and the family and the immedidate world, and finally (after two hours) got up and chemically treated the problem. It didn't help any that Mikey was right next to me sound asleep with his snoring punctuated by whatever that other noise is that he makes. Not a care in the world, just like a baby, pure heart & pure mind maybe.

As I was letting the shower bring me back to life this morning, I was thinking about how this problem plagues me from time to time. I was trying to plot a new strategy for the next time it happens as I don't like to rely on pills. They make me drag up the next day. I over compensate with more coffee which can put me into a terrible sleep/wake rhythm. My system is very delicate you know.

Driving to work, out of the blue, the line from the Christmas carol flashed through my foggy brain, "God rest you merry, gentlemen." I'd learned awhile back that the phrase wasn't "God rest you merry gentlemen" with the "merry" being an adjective for "gentlemen." It's a request for God to allow us to rest with happy hearts. "Let nothing you dismay." We can do this when we "remember Christ, our Savior, was born on Christmas Day." Whoop...there it is!! He came to "save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray," so I don't even have to have been a good little girl. God loved me anyway. "Oh tidings of comfort and joy!!"

May God rest us all merry tonite!!

3 comments:

Hoots Musings said...

When I cannot sleep it is because I forgot to take my hormone.
I am sure I will wean myself off them soon, and then I will be awake watching Letterman and the guy after him is much funnier.

He is from Scotland and he makes me laugh out loud!

Sweet dreams tonight my friend.

Anonymous said...

You are one gifted writer.

CottonSr said...

Actually, that sounds like a promising cure, Scriptural too, which is comforting.

My mother though showed me a remedy when I was a little boy. The same one she used for coughs she used for me when I couldn't sleep. She would boil milk in corningware and stick my hands in it.

Actually, it didn't help me sleep anymore than it cured my cough. But while I was screaming I didn't cough as much and once my hands healed I never tossed and turned again at night.