Total Pageviews

October 13, 2005

The Key of Me

I've got a great weekend lined up! Friday night is the monthly birthday party at our American Legion Post and Vic Squires will be there doing karaoke. Saturday night is the wedding of some friends and they're having karaoke also. What fun!! I love karaoke. Me, a mike, music, and an audience! Life doesn't get any better than that! When my sisters and I were young, our mother would have us sing for company. "Now I Belong to Jesus" was our signature song. The same guests would listen to the same song over and over. Because we were good? No, because my mother would make them. The Lovely Johnson Sisters had a captive audience. It wasn't like we had much of a choice either. Whatever Mama wanted, Mama got...and Mama wanted to show off her talented (?) children. I loved to sing so I mostly didn't mind. I grew up in choir at school and church. In high school I dropped out of choir to pursue the lofty goal of being a Cardette (pep squad for HHS). Shame on me! I still sing some, but seldom march anywhere. With the advent of karaoke (thank you Japan or Korea or whatever country originated the idea), it was a golden opportunity to sing some of my favorites..."You're So Vain" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and even stuff from the 50's just rings my bell.
So, look out listeners...I'll be in rare form since I missed last month. Feel free to toss money!

3 comments:

CottonSr said...

Get to know Filipinos. Overall they are a very musical people. The best bands at the EM club in Okinawa were Filipino.

But get to know them at a price. They have no shame at all. Music is fun and the national pasttime. Completely tonedeaf people get up and make a fool of themselves even without trying to. But if you know any and get invited to their parties, half of the night or more will be karaoke. And it's Japanese by the way.

And my chicken sings too every night and when she lays an egg. Another reason to name her Sara.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, send me a tape. I want to hear this. I can hardly wait to hear you singing something other than gospel. SOAP

Hoots Musings said...

How fun!
I am TOO chicken to stand up and do Karaoke!

I might sing off key!