Total Pageviews

October 18, 2005

Clayton Williams all over again!

Remember the wonderful campaign for governor years ago between Clayton Williams (of Claydata fame) and Ann Richards (of beautiful white hair fame)? What hype!! I couldn't wait to read the papers or watch the news to see what salvo had been slung as I slept. They were worthy opponents and the whole election campaign was exciting and fun to follow. We hadn't had a woman in the Texas capital since Ma Ferguson although Sissy Farenthold had given it her best shot in her campaign in the early 70's. I worked with local NOW leaders so I was pretty ate up at the time with the whole feminist thing...even vacationing in Dolph Briscoe's stomping grounds with a "Sissy Farenthold" bumper sticker on the car (why I didn't get a ticket over there I'll never know!). Back to the issue at hand...I was Republican and had every intention of voting for Clayton Williams and he seemed to have the election sewn up. But one little wobble toward the end of the campaign and he lost!!! I forget who said it, but the memorable headline afterwards was that he "snatched defeat from the jaws of victory"!!!
I think we saw that played out again last night at Minute Maid park. I will never know why our local teams can make it so far and then choke at the last minute. The Astros will have a chance to redeem themselves, but to be so close and then lose the game last night doesn't do alot to convince this fickle fan that they can get the job done. We'll have to wait and see if the curse of Clayton is still operating in Texas!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Astros! I was hoping they could hold it together, and they did....now the World Series.
Go 'Stros!