Total Pageviews

August 31, 2005

Mobile Multitasking

I've just returned from a weekend with the grandkids which is a whole 'nuther posting! Mike and I drove over to Fredericksburg and he left from there to go to Colorado (another whole 'nuther posting). I had to drive home alone and it's the first time in quite awhile I've had the priviledge of driving by myself. I love to do that from time to time. I get to travel smoke free; I get to listen (or not listen) to whatever station or CD I choose; I can stop when I want to; I can stop where I want to...you get the idea. What I noticed while driving is that we are a nation of marvelous multitaskers. We are performing this talent on the road.
For years I've watched people light up cigarettes, put on makeup, make phone calls, and read while driving, even in heavy traffic times. This trip, I noticed a driver that had taken multitasking to a higher level than ever. Way beyond the normal ear or nasal hygiene I've seen practiced at 70 miles per hour, I saw a gentleman adjust his dental bridge. He took this little work of wire and teeth out of his mouth, inspected it for Lord knows what, and replaced it...and never swerved into my lane of traffic!!! Amazing! I've heard stories, seen things, and done a few odd jobs while driving myself. For some reason, this man impressed me.
Maybe driving a vehicle weighing over 1000 pounds down a major road at a high rate of speed is not challenging enough for us anymore. There's not much interesting about starting from point "A" and arriving at point "B" in one piece. Anyone can manage that. But to have invented a better mousetrap, eaten a gormet meal, phoned the President, or given a friend a perm while driving, THAT's an accomplishment!
In the meantime, y'all be careful out there...you don't know what that other driver is really up to!!!

No comments: