Total Pageviews

August 22, 2005

Boy Scouts are Right

Years ago I was on my way to a PTA meeting, running almost late. I would make it right on time if no one got in my way and the traffic lights stayed green. I was within a mile of the school when I heard something pop. I turned to check out the situation in my left rear view mirror and was shocked to see that my window had shattered. I pulled over and was trying to figure out what happened and how I would now be late as I pulled tiny pieces of glass from the window frame. Great way to start the day! As I was cleaning up the mess, this thought crossed my mind, "Sara, you never allow for the unexpected." I knew God was speaking to my heart. I had always operated about 15 to 20 minutes behind the rest of the world. My mother had told me once that I was born two weeks late and had been late to ever since! Our family friend, Larry Elliff, who sang at my wedding told me that he wouldn't open his mouth to sing until he saw me standing at the back of the church ready to come down the aisle. If you ever dated me or asked me to meet you somewhere, you know what I'm talking about. To all of you who've had to wait on me, I apologize.
I didn't mean to set your teeth on edge, but I just didn't prepare. I could get up in plenty of time to get ready, but I'd wait until the last minute to start and then when some little button turned up missing or the curlers didn't heat up fast enough, my whole schedule was thrown into confusion. I didn't prepare for contingencies. I was late for a funeral once years ago because I didn't prepare and got to the funeral home without my guitar!...should have put it out the night before, but I didn't prepare. I got to work one day and one of my friends asked if I knew there was a giant stain on the back of my jacket. No, I didn't as I hadn't planned what to wear, just grabbed something and dressed and wound up having to go home. You can see I've wasted alot of time!
My friend, Mary Ann, sent me an email today about how preparation helps to deal with the unexpected things in life. Being spiritually, physically and mentally prepared gets you through whatever comes your way. Having been blindsided enough in my life, I'm learning this lesson. Hopefully, if you're caught in the same circumstances I was, this will be your wake up call to just stop, make a 180, and begin to enjoy life. I've still got a way to go as old habits die hard. But I'm getting better!

2 comments:

CottonSr said...

Read your two comments and letter about my son.

Actually, my oldest son's name is Jericho. Named after the song Joshua Fit the Battle of. But I bought him a Wal-mart store statue of an angel on a swing on my youngest son's (baeballer) birthday last San Jacinto Day. He was shocked he got a present on his little brother's birthday. I told him it was his guardian angel and typed the words of Jericho Road and taped them to it.

I know I've Been With Jesus too. Remember all the words since childhood actually. Loved the song.

Blogging is lots of fun.

Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic and that more than injuries shortened what would have been one of the most glorious in history, glorious as it was anyway. He also lived separate from his family most of the time and barely helped raise them.

His father had been devoted, there every step of the way, including baseball. Mantle felt he had let everyone down, himself, family, and a whole lot his desceased father. He wrote his father an apology note a few years before he himself died and it helped him inside therapeutically.

This does the same thing. Guardian Angels too. Hear yourself think. Hear your soul talk.

Thanks in other words.

I play guitar too. We could have made Country and/or Gospel Hall of Fame if you had just not been late when I never asked you out.

Curious Servant said...

I am confused about the window. A rock? A pellet gun?

I enjoy your writing!