Total Pageviews

November 10, 2005

First Things First

Well, the Nov 8th election is over, my cold isn't, and I'm in a mood to whine a bit. Check back tomorrow if you're not in the mood to listen.

I went and stood in two pretty long lines to cast my ballot because I fiddled around and didn't early vote. One of the propositions was to approve funding to reroute trains. I voted against it. I'm not saying that getting trains out of the hearts of major cities in Texas isn't important. I've spent my time sitting in rush hour traffic while these locomotive snails inched across congested roads and streets. I appreciate their function in our society. Waiting on trains is part of the price I pay to be able to go to my favorite WalMart and buy stuff cheap.

I think our legislature (you can include state and federal here) needs a short course in prioritizing. I have to do it every day. If I have a $20 bill and I can buy my prescriptions or dust cloths, I have to make a choice as to which is the greater need at the moment. If someone has tracked mud into the kitchen and I need to wipe the blades on my ceiling fans, I make another choice as to which is more pressing. Can't we expect the same from the people we elect and the projects we support? I'm sure we need to reroute the trains. We also have a crisis in school funding. Is this the best time to start digging up money for new train trails? I'm sad to hear that the funding for I-69 is not forthcoming or has been delayed but we've got roads already...I believe 281 runs from the Valley practically to Canada. Let's take care of the poor, the schools, the veterans, the children and then worry about rerouting trains, planes and automobiles!

Whew...got that off my chest! Now for my next priority...lunch!

1 comment:

Hoots Musings said...

I voted against that one too.
I was most happy the marriage amendment passed.