Total Pageviews

November 7, 2005

Tier Drops

I was catching up on my Monday morning blogs and was reading anonymous lawyer...one of my favorites! He was doing a Q & A session with some of the fan mail he gets. One question was from someone who said that they attended a third tier law school and could they apply for a job with the anonymous law firm. Anonymous lawyer said don't bother.

It made me curious as to why anyone would attend a third tier law school, which university has a third tier rating, and who sets the ratings. If you know that you'll spend two extra years at a third rate school and the good jobs go to first and maybe second tier graduates, why bother? What are your alternatives? Do you become an ADA? Do you work for an altruistic organization?...hang your own shingle perhaps? I would think that if your tests scores don't get you to the top, why not find some other field that you can excel in? Why not apply to be a top flight para-legal?

I know that engineers like to have those UT or TAM sheepskins. Teachers wannabes used to flock to San Marcos because it was "first tier". Now I hear that San Marcos has a great art department also and they've dropped "Teachers" from their old name of STSTC. When it's all said and done, $$$ is still $$$ and I'd want to get the biggest bang for my buck. I don't know that spending all the time and money on a third tier school is such a good deal.

Of course, this is coming from a college student of one semester at a 29th tier college with a C in French! What do I know?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A whole lot more than many college grads!

CottonSr said...

Some are just hoping for a miracle. There were fake universities to get people out of the draft, and there are fake internet universities now that award diplomas even though they are not accredited. Some internet universities are valid and good by the way.

Some just want the satisfaction of having a 'law degree'. They even hope it can lead to something, but know it may well not.

And I met an American in the Philippines going to a decent for there university and taking vet medicine because he couldn't get in one in America. So, he'll learn something and may get a job somewhere, but i doubt America, though you never know.