Total Pageviews

September 22, 2006

Yadda Ad Nauseum

Way back when Sex and the City was popular, I missed the whole shebang because we only had basic cable. I never new anything about the stars or cared about Mr. Big. What I didn't realize until lately though was how Sarah Jessica Parker's voice over rattled on at the beginning and end of the show. Well, once Pandora's (squawk) Box was open, that's all we've had! Now we listen to a voice from beyond the grave on Desperate Housewives; we have poor, pitiful Meredith on Grey's Anatomy gushing angst over the cast of their show; and then last night I heard some guy heralding every nuance we might have missed on 6 Degrees. I don't think there's time to properly develop ideas so we need this extra explanation at the end in case we missed the point of the episode and to whet our appetite for next week's installment. The advertisers have whittled the actual programming time down to about 20 minutes for every half hour of actual showtime. Where are the protesters for that? I remember when Lucy and Ethel could get into a mess, get caught in a mess and get out of the mess because they had ample time. Ricky wasn't there to set the story up or put it to bed at the end. And we did just fine! Ah...I miss the good old days. 'Nuf said!

5 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I thought of your blog while watching Desperate Housewives last night and have decided that I like the narration at the end. It ties the show up and puts a pretty bow on it. A present to open next Sunday. . .

Anonymous said...

Now we recognize the differences between 'boomers'(who like to solve prblems),and 'gen x'ers'(who love to share all their knowledge)!
It is good to see we share the same interests in television shows!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Marlie.

The Thomas Family said...

Correction. I am technically part of generation Y. (Talk about sharing knowledge. . .)

Anonymous said...

Joe the bartender also does voice overs on Grey's Anatomy. I like them, they break it all down for you in case you missed something, while attending to your children, your husband, or trying to tame the non existant bachelor.