Total Pageviews

September 9, 2006

The Nice Family

I am currently living with the nicest family on the planet. They show their niceness in the sweetest ways. For instance...a few days ago Baby Sis made some of her famous chocolate chip cookies that everyone loves. She made them during the week before Grandson #1 came down. During that short interval the rest of us would grab a cookie whenever we wanted and we wanted one everytime we walked by the plate and saw them sitting there. It's not like a horde of locusts went through the place, but they did dwindle down to a precious few. I figured that when Grandson #1 got here the few remaining would immediately disappear. He really likes Baby Sis's chocolate chip cookies! Interestingly enough, he's too nice, and they're too nice and I'm too nice to eat the last one. I notice now when my eye wanders to the plate that little pieces of the cookie are gone. No one wants to be the one who eats the last cookie. So we're all picking into oblivion. I've seen this phenomenon before with no one wanting to eat the remaining piece of pie, barbequed rib (although people are less nice when it comes to ribs), or maybe the last fried chicken drumststick. It's a form of etiquette to prefer the others at the table. However, that last little piece of cookie knows I'm sitting here and it's calling to me. And like Dizzy Dean said, "Nice guys finish last."

2 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I made homemade cookies last Sunday, but just baked 2 dozen for a football watching party. So the dough is in the fridge and on Thurday I made another dozen. They're gone now and Andrew didn't eat any of them. Yep! One dozen cookies IN MY BELLY! I never want to see another chocolate chip cookie as long as I live.

Anonymous said...

I would not like to eat the last one, but I WILL SHARE IT WITH YOU!