Total Pageviews

September 11, 2006

I Stand Corrected

Not that it matters much, but when I posted that last blog, I was overcome with the notion that I might have attributed the quote, "Nice guys finish last" to the wrong person. Letting my actual work slide just a bit today, I took a few minutes to look that particular quote up and, sure enough, I was wrong. It wasn't Dizzy Dean who made the famous "nice guys" quote, it was Leo Durocher in 1946 when he was with the Brooklyn Dodgers. When you have some spare time, look up his quotes, he was a hoot!
So was Dizzy Dean. Look him up too while you're at it. I found a quote I intend to use extensively in the future. He said, "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up." Isn't that great? He also remarked once on a play saying of a player, "He slud into third." He must have been roundly trounced by English teachers of the day because another quote has him explaining why he used the term "slud" in the first place. To paraphrase, he thought it was sliding into the base with an attitude. You have to love a man who thinks like that.
On a side note, just put in "nice guys finish last" and look at all the angst from people who've been disappointed with nice guys. Nice guys must run in small herds.
And they evidently do finish last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Then I guess I'm not nice . . . which should explain why I am carrying around some extra weight.