Total Pageviews

October 9, 2006

Endangered Species

I got to thinking about things you don't see anymore. I was on one of my nostalgia benders and along with Bass Weejuns, pop beads, and 8-tracks, I thought of something else that's in short supply these days. Bachelors. I'm not talking about the pretty boys they trot out on that riduculous reality show. I'm talking about confirmed bachelors. And, lest I be accused of being sexist, spinsters. (Ever notice that the tag for an unmarried male has class but an unmarried female just sounds pitiful?)

The last bachelor I knew personally was my brother-in-law. He was quite a piece of work...brilliant, handsome in his younger days, and freewheeling. He worked overseas alot and had some really good stories to tell about other cultures and how he viewed them. He wasn't gay and he wasn't weird although some might argue that last remark. He was very passionate about whatever intersted him at the moment, be it golf, the stock market, or high school sports. He was quite a guy who led a life that pleased him outside of conventional norms.

Unlike the old days, if you're not married by your 30's, society tends to look at you with that slight hesitation, "Are you in a closet?" At the least, you're pitied for not finding a mate and there's a tendency to set you up with everyone's friend...who usually has a great personality. We just can't leave well enough alone.

I don't know any bachelors though...do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put. I heard a few married men talking the other day and they said at certain times of the month they wish they were bachelors. I for sure am not one of those guys. I sooooooooo love being married to preacher's wife.