Total Pageviews

November 2, 2006

Where's the Beef?

I mentioned in yesterday's blog that there was something about the whole Dia de los Muertos that rattled my cage. Here's my beef.
The lady who was showing us how to decorate the sugar skulls AND the gentleman who gave the lecture explaining what all of the hoopla meant both mentioned that they did presentations in schools. They go to classrooms and decorate skulls or give talks. Remember that we're told that they believe all of the altar making is to summon the spirits of their dear departed. They pray to them seeking answers for problems during this time thinking that they'll get an answer from the spirit(s). After the celebration is over, children are given maracas, eggs with the insides blown out, filled with candy, and set in a little cone making them rattle like maracas. The children rattle these and the spirits are chased back to where they came from. Then the things are thrown on the ground and the candy falls out of the broken shells. This is part of the traditions...being discussed in schools...
...the same schools which have taken out any reference to Christmas, Jesus, etc. See where I'm going with this?
If we can't say "Merry Christmas" in school, if the two week vacation is now winter break, if we can't sing Christmas carols or say a prayer...where do the schools get off allowing someone to come in and teach little children that it's okay to summon back the dead in the name of a "cultural" tradition?
I may just have to write a letter!

4 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

You write that letter, hombre!

Anonymous said...

Here Here. I agree, write the letter. The inclusion of this in schools has been going on several years as I remember my cousin going to the school to inquire exactly what they were teaching her children.

It seems any religion/tradition is welcome except Christianity. It it time that we Christians call foul unanimously.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, do write that letter...
we are given voices, it is time to use them!

Anonymous said...

I agree, write the letter. If you need my help (ms all bark and no bite) let me know. I will be glad to help.