Total Pageviews

May 29, 2006

Smilage

I'm just back from a week in League City. Making the drive alone is a pleasant experience for me. I can listen (or not listen) to whatever I want on the radio. I can take a side trip or stop to eat whenever I'm ready. I make the trip from the island to League City in about 6 hours and that's some really good down time for me.

This trip I made some observations that demand to be recorded somewhere...might as well be here. I'm talking in particular about road signs. Coming up through Harlingen and past Combes was a shocker. Combes was just a little blip on the map, a very small town boasting of Holida's gas station and little else besides First Baptist Church. Lots of farmers in and around Combes, but had they not needed a closer space to pick up mail, I doubt that the town would have ever even existed. Anyone knowing any history is welcome to post a response. My eye caught one change that I will have to further investigate next time I'm in town. There are now 3 (three...count 'em...three) business exits to Combes. I don't think there are many more than that into Harlingen or San Benito. But Combes has three exits dedicated to taking you into the business district. I've got to check that out! Bet it's overrun with Currys!!

Next grin I got was in the King Ranch. There are several rest stops/picnic areas there where you can stop and eat a sandwich and drink a coke. Some even have little barbeque pits which strike me as funny because what thinking person is really going to take hotdogs and a bag of charcoal to picnic in a rest stop? They also have signs warning unsuspecting party animals to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. What would a fete be without snakes? By the way...stay tuned for my snake adventure. It just doesn't seem like a spot reserved for taking a break to relax a few minutes ought to come with a snake warning...maybe it's just me!

One other sign made me smile. Now, I know what it meant to say. But the presentation had to make you wonder who's HMO really sucked. It says, HOSPITAL
CAMPING
You have to assume that it means that there is a hospital and also camp grounds in close proximity. But the sign says hospital camping. It calls for all sorts of bad jokes and scenarios that I don't have time to go into. Enjoy making up your own!

All in all, it was a nice drive and it won't be long before I make it again. Have to wait until the price of gasoline drops a bit. There went my smile!

No comments: