Total Pageviews

February 13, 2006

Karaoke-hokey

I tell you, I'm just getting one revelation after another since moving to the island. Not all are particularly wonderful but most are. This latest one falls into the N.P.W. category.

Mikey came down this weekend to celebrate my birthday (thanks to all who sent cards and emails ~ you made turning 58 not so awful!). We went out to eat Friday at Dirty Al's which I recommend next time you're on the island. Saturday, Baby Sister cooked some "mankiller chicken" and was it ever lip-smackin' good. Then Sunday evening the party continued at Coral Reef, a little club around the corner from Baby Sister's place. They were having karaoke and you know I have a thing for mikes! I did my usual stuff and had a ball. New audiences are always fun. Then, this guy gets up. He's 65 if he's a day and has a beautiful head of white hair. He'd already offered decent version of "New York, New York" and I expected to hear another old standard.

He broke out in a rousing rendition of "Born to be Wild" followed by "Touch Me" by the Doors. Have you ever had a sense of motion when you weren't really moving? I had one of those sitting on the bar stool watching this old man singing a couple of the anthems of my era. It was just too weird! I didn't know whether to flash back or flash forward...I nearly fell off my perch. I applauded wildly when he was through because he hit most of the notes right and almost made me want to get up and dance. I gave him a "9". However, I think maybe I won't prance around so much next time I belt out my version of "You're So Vain."

No comments: