Total Pageviews

February 23, 2006

Big Bang Theory

I'm getting acclimated to my new digs. Up until yesterday, I had no complaints. Well, maybe just a little one named Lady. She's my sister's huge yellow lab whose hidden agenda is to stand next to me no matter where I am and trip me. I think she's jealous that I've invaded her house and as a newcomer, have more privileges than she does. I can stretch out on the couch and she can't! And I smell better!

Anyway, yesterday I was half awake in the bathroom getting ready for work when this Big Bang jarred me into reality. I ran out the back door and looked up at the huge transformer located just on the other side of the fence. Hanging upside down like a cartoon character was a little red winged blackbird. Awww...at least he didn't suffer. Janet called the power company who came out and had us up and running within 30 minutes. During the whole process, we noticed that all the other sparrows and blackbirds who come to feed at Janet's feeder sat like little mourners near the transformer watching the disposition of their late friend by some guy on a ladder.
End of story.

Until this morning. I had at least taken my shower when BOOM!!! Again my heart was jumpstarted by the shock and I ran out to see yet another red winged blackbird hanging upside down on a wire attached to the transformer. This one didn't fare as well and wasn't completely intact. I noticed his friends all viewing this tragedy from the neighbor's section of the powerline. At least they seemed to know not to get too close to the transformer. Now the power company is blaming the situation on something the birds must be doing to cause the power outtage. Right, blame it on the poor little birds!

I think that there is a loose connection and when a bird lands on the wire, he's toast. I can think of all sorts of lessons that could be learned here. I hope the power company or the birds learn those lessons pretty quick...another jolt and I might be looking for new digs...hmmmmm...I may have another theory!

No comments: