Total Pageviews

May 20, 2007

TV or Not TV

...that is the question. If I had any moral courage in this area, I'd chunk the tv out with last week's tv guide. But I don't. So, I'll just use my little forum here to grouse about the wasteland which becomes vaster everyday. Again, I'll complain about the left wing conspiracy to make Americans feel badly about gays, the war, and Christianity that is played out each week on Boston Legal. They're not even apologetic about the tripe they spew at the viewing public with such regularity that it makes it hard for me to enjoy the off the wall antics of Denny Crane. I watch it for the crazies, not because I need to be indoctrinated into the liberal agenda.

Then...there are the awful commercials I've seen lately. How in heaven's name did the stupid "SpongeBob No Pants" (showing a guy trying to convince his wife that standing naked with nothing but soap suds covering his altogethers) make it past the Burger King honchos? I believe the ad is aimed for children so it makes no sense to have a grown man standing there trying to be cute while naked. Am I missing something here?

I watched a commercial the past few days where a young boy shakes up a two liter bottle of soda and sprays his mother who in turn sprays him with the nozzle at her sink. I raised three boys and they wouldn't have to watch that commercial (for Viva paper towels) more than once to figure out that would be a fun experiment to try on each other. The commercial shows that all you need is one little sheet of Viva to wipe the smiling face of the young boy to clean up the mess. Any mother worth her salt knows better than that! And don't get me started on the Kohler commercial for a super toilet where the guy is trying to clog his toilet so a sexy female plumber can come fix it!!! He dumps tea lights, bottles of lotions and dog food into the can and flushes. I can't imagine some little kid trying to imitate that!!!

We used to just worry about responsible programming. Now, even the ads aren't safe!! Beware!

3 comments:

...BonneyJo said...

The most annoying commercial to me is the caveman Geico commercial. If I had their insurance, I think I'd cancel it and go somewhere else. I think the advertising agency has people more retarded than the cavemen they reference. And now they are talking about a caveman TV show!!! Pleeeeeeze. With all the writers in the US, why can't we get some decent programming?

On the other hand, I love the gecko and have trouble remembering both commercials are advertisig for the same company.

Anonymous said...

Gardening is a great alternative to watching TV...then when you dive into bed after hours in the garden, you are too tired to watch anything but 'sex in the city' reruns (key word is-WATCH); and then you can fall right off to sleep!
I am all for no TV...read a book instead; take a walk, or visit a neighbor!

And, just think, the people who the writers are writing for will someday be running our Country! Boy now that is encouraging news!

Anonymous said...

I agree!

My all time most hated commercial is La Quinta:

Showing situations that are terrible but then showing the Brighter side if you stay at La Quinta.

It show hungry boys sitting in what appears to be a soup kitchen from I guess the early 1930's (?)

The captions says Only get $5 a day for lunch? Then it breaks away to a guy doing cartwheels and the caption says something about the Bright Side being you lose weight.

I think this is sick.

Those look like real children in the soup kitchen.

Oh well rant rant rant

- little sis