Total Pageviews

February 6, 2007

Big Brother Knows Best

I took a minute yesterday and voiced an opinion. A good opinion to the Governor of the great state of Texas. It seems that he has decided that the HPV epidemic is so widespread that he needs to have young schoolgirls innoculated against it. Parents can opt out if they choose to keep their daughter from being injected with a fairly new drug. I'm incensed! I am tired of the government deciding what's best for my children (grandchildren). I went through the long lines at school when we willingly queued up for polio shots. I'm sure many lived were dramatically protected and saved. I know that we've since had to deal with doctors wondering what sort of other effects equally damaging might have been unleashed. And if you come down with a side effect unknown to them, well, golly gee, aren't we all sorry?!
I don't want to think that the Governor and Merck labs are in cahoots to boost Merck's profits on a drug that people haven't rushed to embrace (although Merck did make a minor contribution to the Governor's campaign fund). I'll overlook the other connections to our state government that Merck has. I'm not even saying that young, sexually active girls shouldn't have the protection and have it for free. What I am saying is that I don't like to see parental rights being run over in the interest of something that the government feels they should protect us from. Why not, as one friend has said, outlaw smoking and the money going to subsidize tobacco farmers if the govt. is really interested in health issues.
I could go on and on about people blindly giving away their rights. I just hope that if your daughter gets the vaccination, you had a part in choosing it for her.

No comments: