Total Pageviews

October 24, 2006

Coffee with the Coots

We finally got moved into our new digs out at South Padre Island Golf Community. Actually, it's about 15 miles from SPI by road, less by boat. But who'd want to make a big trip to Laguna Vista for anything? The town has two churches, a police station, Pasquale's Italian food/pizza & karaoke on Fri & Sat AND a nice little deli. Some apts, condos and houses and the Golf Community. Not bad...but I digress.

Baby Sister's new place is on a man-made lake. You have wonderful views from one bedroom, the living/breakfast area, and the master. The first morning or two we were there we got to see the alligator which I thought was just a legend. Not so! He's about 5-6 feet long and according to the neighbor, probably has to eat about a half dozen ducks a day to stay healthy. If he's doing that, the ducks, whistlers and plain old ducks, don't seem to be too worried.

The other morning I had a few extra minutes and took my coffee out to the patio just to watch the activity on the water. No alligator, but the prettiest little coots. coots are in the duck family I guess...feathers, long bill and paddle around with webbed feet. But they are the Cadillac of ducks in my book. Their feathers appear to be very soft and grey. Their little heads are black and look like velvet. I do say they are the prettiest ducks on the lake. And my new morning coffee partners. Well, they will be when we get a new coffee pot and I can make coffee on a regular basis.

1 comment:

...BonneyJo said...

I'll know what happened to your lake monster when you show up with new alligator shoes and purse.