Total Pageviews

October 29, 2007

Electric Glide

I love the cooler weather of fall and winter. I embrace the darker, grey days as great sleeping weather. Just in time for great sleeping weather is the arrival back of the hour of sleep that the government robs me of every darned spring. I love this time of year! Except for one little thing.
I haven't figure out how to swivel out of my car and shut the door without getting jolted from the build up of static electricity. I rode with a friend today in her little convertible. She only had glass windows with no metal frame so I could go buy me a cute car like hers and avoid the problem. Except for one little thing.
Walking across the floor to same friend's office (she's actually a boss and a friend) I lean against her door and get jolted again. Darned static!!! I have to wear shoes, nothing rubber soled. I can't figure out how to not touch the door. You'd think that after a few times of getting buzzed, not in a good way, that I'd learn not to touch the door frame. But no, I'm still getting zapped.
So, I can't get out of the car, open doors, or touch anyone without the electricity charging through my system. I'm afraid of setting something on fire when I fill up for gas if I reach across the seat for my purse. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please let me know. It's going to be a long winter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The static electricity is just about lethal up here! I once saw sparks whilemaking my bed. I'm not lying!

...BonneyJo said...

Try sitting on a Bounce dryer sheet in your car before you swivel. On the door frame, I don't know. I zapped a whole computer from 6 feet away once from a door frame. Bosses were not happy. They do make ground straps for such occasions, but mostly for sitting in one spot, not for walking. We'll just have to call you "Sparky"!

Anonymous said...

C'mon Sparky!
Friction causes the electrical charge. Touch something rubber to kill it. Touch metal to continue the conduction thus shocking yourself or others.Break the circuit! Static gaurd and dryer sheets should help out too!

Janet Magee said...

I've heard of people like you who just burst into flames!

You should probably carry a small fire extingusher with you at all times.