Total Pageviews

July 26, 2006

I Don't Get It

Since moving to South Padre Island, I've had to relearn alot of things...like driving. I've mentioned my attitude adjustment I had to make after driving in Houston for years and then driving down here. I've had to learn to exercise so I can climb stairs to show property. I think most of my buyers like the higher altitudes in the condo complexes...haven't shown a first floor unit yet!

The big mystery to me now is something I read about in the newspaper all the time. It's called "Catch and Release." The idea is to catch some great fish, take a picture, and then release it back into the water drooling blood. Is that a sport? When I was growing up, I did very little fishing until Mom and Dad got a cabin at the Arroyo. We would go 4 or 5 nights a week, catch all the trout and redfish we could, Dad would filet them on the spot and the only thing we released back into the water was the carcasses of the fish for the crabs to feed on. Then we fried the cornmeal coated filets until crunchy and ate them like potato chips. I don't think we ever even thought of taking pictures and then throwing perfectly good fish back into the water. And if I'd ever caught something big and noble, I'm sure it would be hanging stuffed over a fireplace somewhere.

What would it be like if we wounded our beef just for sport and then turned them loose back in the pasture again? Or shot at deer and let them limp back into the brush? I thought the point of going after game of any kind was to bring that sucker home, fry it up in the pan and eat it...with tarter sauce or gravy. But catch and release? I don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, lets explaine catch and release to oh I don't know

Red Lobster, or Long John Silvers,

Who ever made up that catch and release rule should be caught and not released!

Did you know mixing sprite in the fish batter takes out the fishy smell?