Total Pageviews

September 4, 2007

A, B, C, D, E,......

I have to laugh...I read an AOL news headline which mentioned Jerry Lewis dropped the "F" bomb during the telethon. Now, I don't know what anyone else would think reading that, but the "F" word making those headlines wasn't the one that came to my mind. A certain minority group is up in arms and I'm sure there will be details at 10:00.
In my day we heard the "F" word in whispers, usually accompanied by giggles as even the explanation of the word didn't make sense to us. We absolutely knew better than to say it in front of grownups. Well, most of us did. One of my relatives asked another of my relatives what it meant and got a knuckle sandwich as an answer. Poor thing...we had to whisper and giggle the answer to that other relative at a later time. But said relative did learn not to mention it in the presence of adults again....ever!
At a party recently, I heard the word used repeatedly by people with no regard as to who was around with listening ears. Ladies, small children...didn't seem to bother anyone. I'm not so old as to feel that eons have passed since I first heard that crude term. But I was a child not so long ago and it pains me to think of how much society has changed in such a short time.
Can you imagine what the language of the streets will be when our grandchildren become parents? Get out the soap before it's too late!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe because it's late in the evening or maybe it's that I am not as bright as I would like to think I am, but I have no idea what "F" word would offend a minority group. Can you say, "Bless her heart"? Could it possibly be the same word that the English use to call cigarettes? Yes?

Anonymous said...

OH YES....it offends; In my humble opinion, it is crude, and rude to use the f---word as a descripitive word. As I see it,many,including certain ethnic groups; the younger generation; and celebraties use it like it was...just invented for them! Whoa...shock power there! One suspects they are just ignorant of common decency. There is nothing new under the sun....just poor judgement in how to use words; how to respect people; and how to really be real. Or, perhaps the ones who use it are just so angry...they haven't any other word to use.

Anonymous said...

OOOPS! I thought you meant the other F-word! Then I read the news of Jerry Lewis. My bad!