Total Pageviews

March 9, 2006

Splashdown

Well, the island is bracing for Texas Week, March 13 - 17 and maybe the weekends before and after. I have heard horror stories about the traffic here during that time. It will be interesting to see what all goes on. There are quite a few springbreakers here already from other schools, some from as far away as Ohio. I have to question where they get the money to fly down here from Ohio, get rooms which aren't cheap and party like there's no tomorrow. I know they're spending lots on booze. I don't think there could be a spring break without Budweiser! The truck is usually restocking the little Citgo store across from the office when I come in. He's even had to come back a time or two during the day. That's too much dang beer!!! The bungee jump thing across from Louie's Backyard is already open. There are these contraptions made from chain link fence that are already in place up and down Padre Blvd. in anticipation of the traffic jams. There are a couple of girls renting the house next door and their stupid car alarm goes off night and day. They'll be here for the month of spring break. I have heard that I will be mooned and boobed...or whatever you call girls flashing their, well, boobs for cheap plastic beads. Now, won't that make some mother proud!? And me with no beads. I'm probably not going to be their big target anyway.

They say that the trick is to get your running done, buy earplugs, rent movies, and be home by 2:00 in the afternoon. Guess I'll try that. Ahhh...I love this place!

1 comment:

CottonSr said...

I just read, in far away up here, that the Valley has more quantity and types of butterflies than any place in America. More than the entire East coast combined, including Florida. Also that the name for Weslaco came from the W.E. Stewart Land Company, who bought land and founded the town in 1919. And the rodeo is about now too in Mercedes.

I get the drift though, people aren't coming for that. Maybe a few. And you will never know where these kids get their money because no one but them will ever have that kind of money.

There will be a lot of Aggies there, cannot deny, but I can also tell you some encouraging news. Many Aggies and local school age kids don't go down there. Or anywhere else either. More and more are staying put and building houses for free with Habitat for Humanity. Our secretary and her son are leaving for the beach, but the one in Gulfport, Mississippi to help rebuild. Again, not only for free, but at their own expense, vacation money.

Lose not faith. Truth is stronger. It just takes longer from where we're at.